The original farmstead was built as a shepherds cottage around 1850's on the North Molton Estate when Pete's great great great grandfather was the first occupant.
North Molton Estate then sold several farms in the area to pay death duties for Lord Poltimore in the 1920's.
Pete's great great grandfather bought the 336 acre farm for two and half thousand pounds and the Delbridge family continued to farm here till the end of the second world war when Pete's grandfather became ill and died leaving Pete's father Hector Delbridge as his only son aged 14.
The Farm was sold to a gentleman for his two sons who had just come back from the war. A deposit of £800.00 was put as a down payment. As the gentleman's sons did not like what they saw, the sale was not completed but the deposit of £800.00 was kept.
All the livestock had been sold which was lucky as the harsh winter of 1946 followed when many farmers lost livestock and were snowed in for many weeks.
Hector left school at fourteen and his mother decided to keep the farm and restocked.
They farmed Devon cattle and Exmoor Horn sheep. Hector married Pamela Barrow of Withypool who came with some swaledale cross ewes which had originally been brought down to Exmoor by her father via a two day train journey from the Lake District in the 1950's .
They had two children Peter and Sandra.
The farm has installed a biomass plant for heating and hot water and we have solar panels for electricity and our own spring water, which was tested last year and is of a very high quality.
In an Exmoor cook book the farm is mentioned as being a place where people would come to drink the water from the well for their eyesight hense the name Blindwell.
Peter now runs the farm with the help his family, Carol his wife and their two daughters Charlotte and Katie.
We have a herd of 40 Hereford x cows and a Limousin bull producing beef cattle and a flock of around 50 Exmoor Horn sheep home bred which have always been here on the farm since 1860. We also have a flock of around 250 Swaledale ewes which maintains a flock of 500 home bred mule ewes with some easicare ewes which we are trialing.
The farm itself has changed very little over the years and not much has changed in the general landscape in nearly a hundred years. Exmoor is now a dark sky park and on clear evenings we have amazing night skies.
The farm 1919
Hector with his father, vet & favourite horse circa 1938